"No one can be lonely who has a book for company." ~ Nelle Reagan

Saturday, June 11, 2011

In My Mailbox and Postal Strike

In My Mailbox is a weekly bookish meme hosted by www.thestorysiren.com

IMM is a wonderful opportunity to share those books we have received in the mail, borrowed, or purchased.  As we share ours and visit other book bloggers who participate in this meme, we can build our wish lists and TBR lists.  I know we all love to do that, don't we. ;)





In My Mailbox last week was one book :(.  Canada is in the midst of a postal strike wherein our mail is delivered thrice weekly, as long as our city is not on strike.  So last week Edmonton and Calgary postal workers were on the picket lines, demanding accrued sick days and better pay and benefits for new employees.  Canada Post hasn't met their demands, citing a decrease in use of the service, therefore less $ available.  Hopefully the two will meet somewhere and be unified again soon.  I know I am doing my part to keep the need for postal service and employees going!

The Amazing Adventures of Thomas and Erin with Grandad
Market Day
by John Vasey

For Erin and Thomas, today is the most special kind of day there is. You see, today is a Granddad day, and those days are always the most fun of all.   See my review


Purchases:

The Lincoln Lawyer
by Michael Connelly

"There is no client as scary as an innocent man."
~ J. Michael Haller, Criminal Defense Attorney, Los Angeles, 1962

"For defense attorney Mickey Haller, the clock is always running.  With two ex-wives, four Lincoln Town Cars that he uses as offices, and dozens of guilty clients, he can't afford to miss a trick.  When he gets picked by a Beverly Hills rich boy arrested for assault, Mickey sees a franchise case:  a nice, long, expensive trial with maximum billable hours --until it hurtles him into the last place he wants to be.  Suddenly hustling, cynical Mickey Haller is confronted with pure evil and someone who may be truly innocent.  Now, for a lawyer who has always gone for the easy score, getting justice means taking the deadliest risk of all."

Since seeing this movie, I have been looking forward to reading the novel!


The Nanny Diaries
by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

"Who wouldn't want this job?  Struggling to graduate from NYU and afford her microscopic studio apartment, Nanny takes a position caring for the only son of the wealthy X family.  She rapidly learns the insane amount of juggling involved to ensure that a Park Avenue wife, who doesn't work, cook, clean, or raise her own child, has a smooth day.

When the X's marriage begins to disintegrate, Nanny ends up involved way beyond the bounds of human decency or good taste.  Her tenure with the X family becomes a nearly impossible mission to maintain the mental health of their four-year-old, her own integrity, and, most important, her sense of humour.  Over nine tense months, Mrs. X and Nanny perform the age-old dance of decorum and power as they test the limits of modern-day servitude."

I saw the DVD of Nanny Diaries years ago and when I happened upon the book on sale ($2) at a local bookstore (new), I just had to purchase it.  Plus, my son gave me a gift card :) to be used at Indigo Books, which I used for Nanny Diaries and The Lincoln Lawyer.
-----

What's in your mailbox this week?  What did you borrow or purchase to add to your bookshelves?  I'm interested......

5 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read The Lincoln Lawyer ever since I saw the movie.

    This week, I'm reading another book by the authors of The Nannie Diaries.

    Too bad about that strike! Hope it's settled soon.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, a postal strike, that's rough! One of the highlights of my day is checking the mailbox--even if it's just bills, there's something about getting the mail LOL Hope it's over quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog :)
    Btw Yes Linger and Forever are put of a series-- Linger is the second book of Mercyfalls Series And Forever is the Third. The First One Is Shiver. Great IMM btw too : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading books that have a partner movie adaptation :). Although, I prefer to read the book first, so I can picture it in my own mind. Hope you enjoy your books, and thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy reading!

    the Novel Nook

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all my visitors and your comments so please introduce yourself, ask or make suggestions. I'd love to hear from you. This blog is a no-award zone. I appreciate the acknowledgment but your kind words are enough.

No spam please!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...