"No one can be lonely who has a book for company." ~ Nelle Reagan

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Confessions of Shopaholic


I had watched the movie, a few times, and loved it so I had to read the book.  I came across a copy at a local bookstore called Never Without a Book.  Great name, eh?

Confessions of a Shopaholic is told in the first person and is the story of Rebecca Bloomwood, a vivacious, designer label loving young lady who works as a journalist with a financial magazine.  The irony of it is, though she writes financial columns, she is over her head in debt.  Her problem - she loves to shop!  Gucci, Prada, D&G.  She knows them all.  Intimately.  Store fronts beckon her and credit card in hand, she answers.

Becky Bloomwood is a dreamer.  She's "finance guru meets the girl next door', "informative meets approachable", "knowledgeable meets down to earth";  as the conversation goes between her and handsome Luke Brandon whom she has a love/hate relationship with. 

 Sophie Kinsella captures the personality of Becky as if the reader knows her intimately.  Like the girl next door or your best friend in high school.  Definitely chick lit, funny and addictive.  You won't want to put it down.

  Get to know Rebecca Bloomwood and you'll see why this book is a bestseller.

Rated 4.5/5

Note:  the movie is quite different than the book.  The movie is set in New York, the book in London.  The same names are used but their characters, in some cases, have different roles.  Both the book and the movie are charming.  I almost think it better to watch the movie first and then read the book.  The exception to the rule. 

2 comments:

  1. you read an amazingly wide variety of books. i so admire that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Laurie. I am broadening my horizons, expanding my repertoire! I believe it is good to explore other areas of literature. Perhaps it will make me more interesting too!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all my visitors and your comments so please introduce yourself, ask or make suggestions. I'd love to hear from you. This blog is a no-award zone. I appreciate the acknowledgment but your kind words are enough.

No spam please!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...